The luscious truffles combine peanut butter and chocolate deliciously. They’re terrific shaped into balls for a holiday treat tray and they also make snappy footballs to top cupcakes for a tailgate party or any gathering to cheer on your favorite team. Kim Barker, Richmond, Texas
- 3 ounces white candy coating, coarsely chopped, divided
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup crushed granola cereal with oats and honey
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) vanilla frosting, divided
- Green paste food coloring
- 36 cupcakes of your choice
- In a microwave, melt white candy coating at 70% power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- Stir in peanut butter until smooth.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and cereal.
- Chill for 2-3 hours or until easy to handle.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; form each ball into football shape and set aside.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth.
- Dip footballs in chocolate; allow excess to drip off.
- Place on a wire rack over waxed paper; let stand until set, about 30 minutes.
- Pipe frosting laces onto footballs.
- Tint remaining frosting green, using a #233 or #234 tip, pipe grass over cupcakes.
- Just before serving, insert a toothpick into each football. Insert toothpick into cupcake to position football.
Yield: 3 dozen